Sunday, February 8, 2015

One Day At a Time

February. My least favorite month. And not just because my husband sucks at Valentine's Day.

February is traditionally the last full-blooded month of all-out winter. It just sounds like winter- "March" has a totally different vibe than "February". And where I live, February means it's the fourth month of cold and dark. Four months of getting up in the dark and coming home in the dark. Four months of spending the vast majority of the time indoors and covered up from toes to nose. Four months of cold hands, cold feet, and blowing the hair dryer under my shirt to try and get warm.

February is kind of like the last leg of a race, or the last few hours of an all-day road trip towards a vacation destination. You know there is light at the end of the tunnel, but it seems like you are never going to get there.

I struggle with keeping physically and emotionally motivated this time of year. All I want to do is crawl in bed and read a book or watch movies. I don't want to get out of my flannel sheets and fleece pajamas. My skin is extremely dry because I don't want to spend the extra time being cold and naked in the bathroom to put on lotion. I mean, the truth of the matter is I know that my hair dryer will reach over to where I sit on the toilet...

But earlier this week, I caught a glimpse of something I hadn't seen before work for quite some time. It wasn't the actual sun, but yet there was definitely a hint of sunrise beginning to show. Sure enough, as I paid closer attention throughout the rest of the week, I noticed that it wasn't quite as dark in the mornings and evenings as I traveled to and from work.

In fact, I have discovered that we are getting about 2 more minutes of light each day. Two minutes doesn't seem like a whole lot, but have you ever tried to do Plank for two minutes? It definitely feels like a long time then....

Tonight's picture represents staying positive through the last few miles of winter. When I look back at my posts from this week one year ago, one of them talks about how I was using a garden hoe to chop up the ice on the driveway- it was actually almost 50 degrees at one point today. So I guess it can always be worse. I booked a trip to Las Vegas the last weekend of the month with some girlfriends, and I will keep taking my Vitamin D gummy each morning. And before I know it, I'll be wearing my sunglasses to work. Come on Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment