Sunday, January 11, 2015

Like A Good Neighbor

I live in the suburbs. It's a nice neighborhood, with homes on about an acre per lot that were built in the 1960's and 1970's. Many have been remodeled, and we have an array of personalities and age groups throughout our little neck of the "Creek".

That being said, I can only really say that I know a handful of my neighbors. Now, I can recognize them at the grocery and wave, but I wouldn't even know most of their names to say hello (in fact- one of my neighbors actually works at the grocery!) And each time that happens, it makes me a little sad. But admittedly, I haven't done a whole lot to change that, so I have no one to blame but myself.

One of the ladies in my neighborhood happens to also be a good friend of mine though. Our sons are the same age, and we have spent the last four years or so getting to know each other better and better. She is from the South, where I truly feel like I should have been born, and we have always just...clicked...in a lot of ways.

Let me tell you, it can be handy to have a girlfriend that is also a neighbor. I have borrowed her car when I locked my keys in mine. And I have borrowed countless items for entertaining, from centerpieces to tables. In return, I have gone to the grocery for "sick supplies" when her son was ill and didn't want Mom to leave the house, and provided emergency crafting supplies from my stock when making last-minute football team treats.

Because that's what neighbors and friends do. Or at least what I think they should do. It seems like the days of "borrowing a cup of sugar" just don't exist as much lately (although my other neighbor did borrow dishwasher liquid last week lol). I wonder why that is- are we all too caught up in our own world, and has Walmart made everything a little too convenient? I think I'd be a lot more inclined to borrow a cup of sugar if the grocery wasn't only 3 minutes away...

Last weekend I decided to use up a ham bone from the holidays and make bean soup with cornbread. As I perused the recipe, I realized I was gonna have a lot of leftovers, and my boys just won't really eat leftovers- even after I freeze them. Still wanting to make the soup, I decided I would put the rest of it to good use.

I would give it to my girlfriend/neighbor.

I knew she had a lot going on that week in her life, and that having a home cooked meal to share with her son one night without having to cook it would probably be well received. Plus, as I mentioned before, she is southern- and what good southernly girl doesn't like ham and bean soup with cornbread?!

Before I took the care package to her house, I pulled out my stationary from the table next to my bed. Here is something else that we rarely do anymore- the written word. I couldn't remember the last time I had taken the time to actually sit down and write a small letter to someone- the box literally had dust on it. And I was surprised how much joy I actually got from doing it. It's not as easy as email- you can't re-write sentences, or use auto correct. You have to intentionally think about what you want to say before you write it- because let's face it- white out just looks tacky on a pretty letter...

I took the soup, cornbread, and letter- oh, and the trifle bowl I had borrowed- to her house and left it on her front porch. I walked back to the car with a little spring in my step and lift in my heart, knowing she would come home to something a little happy and personal without any specific reason for it.

So tonight's picture represents friendship and being neighborly. Next time you make soup, or lasagna, or a crock-pot meal, or a casserole, make two. Then take one with a note to someone- a friend, or the little old man down the street (I really need to learn his name), or the family with 5 kids who all have sports events 7 nights a week. It's such a simple thing- but can mean so much. And it will make your own heart happy too- trust me, I know. I came home from the grocery today to find my own little package- the container from the soup had made it back to me, as well as several other Tupperware containers she had borrowed, a coffee cup I obviously had left in her car...and three miniature Moon Pies with a thank you card.

Your'e welcome, neighbor (and now, I have the Mr. Roger's Neighborhood theme song running through my head...).

No comments:

Post a Comment