Sunday, January 4, 2015

Not My Mother's Coupons

Growing up, I can remember both my mother and grandmother sitting at the kitchen table each weekend, a large pair of scissors in their hand, cutting out coupons from the Sunday paper. They would also peruse the local grocery ads, searching for what was on sale and planning the week's meals accordingly. I bet many of you have similar memories, maybe even involving a recipe box or photo album for storage and organization.

Things have changed for our generation in the coupon world though. The Sunday paper still carries coupons, but unfortunately many times they are on things that we really just don't need- packaged and processed foods for the most part, full of chemicals and high fructose corn syrup. God Bless America, right?

Coupons have become much more convenient as well. Is sitting at the table cutting paper too old-school for you? Your'e in luck- websites with printable coupons abound. And here you can honestly many times get coupons that are more worthwhile, especially on things for the home like toilet paper, shampoo, etc. Because unlike Pop Tarts, everyone needs toilet paper...

Many grocery stores are now sending you personalized coupon packs as well, using the "perks" card that you swipe with each purchase to tell them what types of foods you buy most and sending you coupons aligned with commonalities. This is another great way to gain coupons without the dreaded "sit and clip" session.

I have always been a bit of a penny pincher. I am grateful to be in a position where I don't absolutely have to rely on coupons anymore, but I just don't understand paying full price for anything that I don't have to. Therefore, (believe it or not), I have an organized stash of grocery coupons at the ready on top of my refrigerator. The only problem is remembering to remember to take the damn things with me to the grocery- I can't tell you how many times I've had a Homer Simpson moment (you know, saying "Doh!" and slapping your forehead) as I pull into a parking space at Kroger...

Lately, I have started to utilize my Iphone and Ipad to pull up coupons while on the go. No clipping, and no forgetting them on top of the refrigerator. I don't get the newspaper (who wants to read pages and pages of bad news every day?), so using electronic coupons allows me to take advantage of non-traditional savings, such as restaurants and craft stores (I saved 25% off my entire purchase at JoAnn fabrics tonight!).

Last night, the 11-year old wanted to go to Steak and Shake for dinner. Our usual haunt has traditionally been Friendly's, but the economy has taken our beloved Tuna Melt and ice cream sundae restaurant away. Hopping on my IPad, I found a plethora of coupons from what he has deemed as "our new place", so I printed them out and stuffed them directly in my purse (so I wouldn't forget them on the printer...).

We took along a friend of his, and after using three coupons our bill for three meals and milkshakes was under $20! Not bad- I don't think you could eat at McDonald's for that, and although it wasn't prime rib it was definitely better than most fast food joints.

Feeling smug, I started to fold up the rest of my unused coupons, when I noticed two women who were attempting to manage about 5 children. There was a mixture of ketchup and ice cream on the majority of their faces and clothes, grown ups included. Inspired, I walked up to one of the women and asked if she would like to have my coupons- "I'm not sure how much it will help, but just looking at your table I think there are a couple in here that would work".

After an initial little look of shock, she smiled and accepted my offer. Handing over my stash, I whispered, "You have a little something...right...there", pointing to the corner of her mouth.

"Thanks", she replied, "for the coupons too".

My pleasure- good luck getting them in the car after ice cream. Been there, done that, got the tshirt with ice-cream-puke stains to prove it...

As we were walking out, the 11-year old asked me if I knew those women. I told him no, and he looked at me oddly. "So you just randomly walked up to her and did that?"

Yup. And hopefully set a good example for my kid and his friend, as well as saved those ladies a couple extra bucks that they can use towards a bottle of wine for after the kids pass out in a grease and sugar induced coma.

Tonight's picture celebrates the coupon, as well as helping out a fellow mom. Not going to use a coupon? Hand it to someone who might, or leave it in the grocery on top of the item that it is good for. What an easy way to help someone just a little bit. I just got back from my second trip of the day to Kroger, after realizing there was only one egg in the carton and I needed 3 for dinner....They were $1.99, but after using my coupon app, they were only $1.49! Seems like change, but trust me- it adds up! When I hit $20 the company sends me a check- all with no clipping required :).

No comments:

Post a Comment