Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Day 365

Wow. I did it! A positive post every day of the year. What started out as a simple New Year's Resolution to post a simple picture and positive thought each day, quickly turned into so much more. Within a week, a simple paragraph had turned into full stories and page-long discussions, allowing me a portal to express a skill I didn't even know I possessed.

What has been even more surprising has been the fact that people actually read my blog. Every day. Not tons of people of course, but anywhere from 30-60 people per day have taken the time to click on the link to my little part of the world, many times leaving comments for me that truly make me feel like I made a little difference in their day. For everyone who ever "liked" my posts, shared them so others could read, or left a comment- I am truly grateful and honored. Because without your encouragement, I'm not sure if this whole thing would have made it 365 days. It definitely wouldn't have had as much depth-  I understand now the feeling a reporter or pastor must feel, knowing that others are waiting to hear/read what you have to say. There is a certain amount of pressure, but not in a bad way. Mostly, it's motivating, and has truly helped me become a better person over the last year.

At first, knowing I had to write a post each evening forced me to look for something positive throughout the day. But by mid-year, I found that I wasn't having to look so hard. My whole outlook had started to change, and I discovered that life is full of wonderful little nooks and crannies of positive, if you know where to look.

As I peruse through my year full of posts, there are some themes that stick out:

1. Family pets are just that- family. They can be a pain in the ass at times, but in the end love you unconditionally. From Day 49: 


2. Be grateful for what you have. Heat in the winter, air conditioning in the summer, food in your grocery cart, your health, and of course, family. So many don't have one or even all of those things. From Day 25:


3. You can do it. Yes, you can. You can tile a bathroom floor, or run a half-marathon. Don't be afraid to try something new, even if it means you will look or feel a little silly at first.You will be amazed at what you can do if you just get off your ass. And make a list. Or a spreadsheet. From Day 243:


4. I have amazing friends. From Girls Night Out adventures to Midnight Volleyball, I have been blessed to laugh and have fun with some wonderful people. So don't turn down an invitation to be with others- it will do your heart and soul good. From Day 173:


5. My parents are awesome. They built a place in their basement to grow tomato seeds, welcomed us into their lake house for summer vacation, and have saved my ass countless times with the 11-year old. I don't know what I would do without them. I love you guys. From Day 88:



6. Talk to strangers. Not creepy strangers, of course. But I have had some of the most interesting and delightful interactions this year with people I have never met before. Older people are even more interesting, as they have lived through and done things that I can not imagine- they are living, breathing history books. I met the first female doctor in the town that I work, and rode bikes with an 80-year old who has biked across the country multiple times. From Day 302:



7. Take time to appreciate Mother Nature. For she is simple beauty at it's best. From Day 195:


8. Give back. I participated in events for Children's Hospital, breast cancer, heart disease, and women's shelters. It didn't take much- maybe some time and a few dollars. But it also helped others, as well as put my own life in perspective. From Day 349:


9. Be a role model. Walk the walk. Especially for your kids. Because I am living proof that we all grow up to be like our mothers...From Day 151:


10. Babies are miracles. There is no other way to describe it. I am a scientific-minded type of person, but pregnancy and babies just absolutely fascinate me. I am in love with Baby G, from the moment we heard he was coming to the moment I held him for the first time. I have also come to terms with being a.....Gigi. From Day 319:


11. Be silly. Have fun. Especially with your kids. They grow up way too fast. From Day 171:


12. Do what you love. I am fortunate to love the profession that I am in. Nursing is such a huge part of who I am, and I believe that you will be more successful when you actually enjoy your job. From Day 18:


13. Marriage isn't always wine and roses. Ok, reality is that I haven't gotten roses in years.... He will leave his clothes on the floor, and you will forget to take the trash out. But there are the times when he cooks you dinner and tells you "I love You" just because. That's what makes the compromises worth it. From Day 344:


And so I end the year with a new view of life. I hope that you have read one or two of these posts and smiled, laughed out loud, and maybe even stopped to think a moment or two about your own life. You now know more about me than most of my closest friends. In fact, my step-dad said the other night- " You sure do go into detail about some personal stuff..." (this was the post about being excited about a new bra). But my Mom immediately countered- "That's why people read it! It's real, and it's exactly what happens to everyone else or what we all think". I've never been too private of a person, and if revealing my thoughts on bras or crotch sweat has made you feel unalone in the world, then I figure I have done a good deed.

The question I have been getting on a daily basis lately though is whether or not APositive365 will continue. First of all, please know how much I appreciate you even asking- I never dreamed that this would take on the life that it has. I now have people asking me to be "friends" on Facebook because they have read my posts that others have shared on their own walls. But I also have to admit that it is quite a commitment, and as much as I enjoy writing it I am concerned that a daily message will eventually get harder and harder.

Last New Year's Eve, I made a resolution to start APositive365. This year, I resolve to continue it, but in a little bit of a different way. Starting January 01, 2015, I will try and do one purposeful Act of Kindness each week. Because wouldn't this world be a better place if we all did something like this? It doesn't have to involve money, for things like words and gestures are sometimes much more kinder than anything you can buy. I will also continue to look for the Positive out there, because I wouldn't want my new-found way of living to go by the wayside.

So look for a post from me at least once a week. I look forward to continuing to share my life with you, and to hopefully make other people's lives a little brighter- one Act at a time. Until then, Happy New Year. May the next 365 bring you family, friends, silliness, miracles, goals that are met, and beauty. Thanks again- it's been a wonderfully Positive 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment