Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Day 358

We have now been in northern Texas for 24 hours. Our day has been lazy but full, with lots of baby holding and shopping for things that were in the luggage our airline lost...

Texas, like every other part of our country, has it's own little signatures to it. There are full size trucks EVERYWHERE, although the land is flat as can be and it's 60 degrees in December. 

And yes, it is flat here. You can see for miles and miles, which is mostly brown since the summer heat and lack of rain has killed just about everything.

Gas is cheap. Not much cost to ship it here- $1.89 on base today. As you drive along the highway, you will periodically see an oil drill hanging out in the middle of the field. Don't see that in Ohio...

The 11-year old is enthralled by the "real cowboys". Men in cowboy hats, Wranglers, and boots are the norm here, even at Target. He actually asked if any of them ride their horses around...

The wind is crazy. Straight line breezes that wreak havoc on a hairdo, that's for sure. Maybe I need to get a cowboy hat...

There are stars everywhere. Texans are just damn proud to be Texans. They are on houses, buildings,and of course- Christmas trees.

The barbecue is amazing. We went to a joint tonight that doesn't look like much at first, but we all left with full bellies and smiles on our faces. The service was outstanding- and the huge smoker out back landed a myriad of succulent meats on our plates. The sauce was excellent in itself, but the meat....yum. Just when you thought the flavor was done, the smokiness came in at the end. I started to cover my pulled pork with my coleslaw and realized everyone was looking at me. My husband elbowed me- "What?" I asked, wondering if I had sauce on my face.

"They don't do that here", my husband whispered. "That's probably like sacrilege". I looked down at the creamy coleslaw covering my roast pig, and decided I didn't care. I would wear a sign that said, "Sorry, I'm from Ohio" around my neck if needed....

Tonight's picture celebrates a new adventure. I love visiting new places and exploring things big and small. And who doesn't love good barbecue?



No comments:

Post a Comment