Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Day 336

That's right. It's almost a week after Thanksgiving and I'm still eating leftovers for dinner. And I'm loving every carbohydrate-filled, gravy-sodden bite.

Some people (including my husband and son) are not leftover fans. Not me. I can eat the same thing for days at a time if it tastes good. And let's face it- put enough gravy on anything and it tastes good. I don't need the turkey hidden in a casserole or soup, taking the downward trip from star of the table to "maybe if I add enough noodles and vegetables they won't notice it's leftover turkey" status.

With 19 people at our table this year, we had two turkeys. I carved one of them, so I feel a special connection to it I guess. Ok I'll be honest- I didn't really carve the turkey. That makes it sound like such an elegant process. My attempt was more of a..."cutting" endeavor, with maybe a touch of "hacking" and "where-the-hell-is-the damn-joint-I'm-supposed-to-be-able-to-cut-through" as well...

But in the end, it all goes to the same place, right? Right- my thighs.Oh well. I figure the sooner I eat it, the sooner it's out of my house and no longer tempting me (that's the same excuse I give myself for eating half a bag of Oreos at a time as well).

Tonight's picture celebrates holiday leftovers. And gravy. I am thankful to live a life where there are leftovers instead of not enough, and that doesn't just mean food. I try not take food for granted, which is one of the reasons I think eating leftovers for days doesn't bother me. So don't waste those meals- it's true what your mother said, you know. There really are starving children in Africa who would love to have your cornbread stuffing or cranberry relish. But the sad truth is there's also starving kids in your own neighborhood probably. Count your blessings if you are warm tonight and have a full belly as you tuck in for the evening. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment