Thursday, December 25, 2014

Day 360

Today was a day of many "firsts".

It was the first Christmas morning my son and I have woken up somewhere other than home. But there was still a tree, and stockings awaiting all three kids when they awoke.

It was the first time the 11-year old has worn shorts outside on Christmas. It was almost 60 degrees and sunny today, although the wind was as strong as 25 miles per hour. We walked around the neighborhood twice, soaking in some Vitamin D and taking advantage of the many playgrounds that are situated in this group of base housing. My son played "par cour" on the equipment while other children rode by on what could only be new bikes. What a great thing to actually be able to ride your new bike during the winter- I can remember my own kid trying to do it in the snow one year...

This was the first time I was actually in charge of the holiday meal. I have always helped my mom, but the main portion has always been managed by her. I baked a ham, complete with a glaze that actually turned out great. We did green bean casserole in the crockpot (genius!), and I tried my hand at homeade scalloped potatoes. Add some bakery rolls and leftover salad from last night and...voila! A low sodium, fat-free holiday meal... And as we sat at the table and ate, each comment about how good the ham was and how nice it was to have a home-cooked meal made my heart glow.

But of course the most important first today was that Baby G had his first Christmas. He also had his first Christmas outfit, which lasted approximately 20 minutes before breakfast leaked out of his diaper...

Today's picture represents first times. Did you have any first times today? Was it your child's first time opening up their own presents? Or maybe you also celebrated somewhere you haven't done so before. Maybe there was a new face at the Christmas dinner table, or a new game introduced afterwards. Although a big part of the holidays is doing traditional things, the fact is that traditions have to start somewhere. So maybe your "first" will become a second, then a third, and eventually a tradition. Merry Christmas everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment