Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day 355


Today was one of those lucky days. A day in which I actually had a hard time choosing which happy part to write about. So I'm not going to choose. I'm going to write about them all.

I started the day waking up to my husband holding my hand and saying, "I love you so much". I opened my eyes enough to make sure he wasn't talking in his sleep (or to the dog), but found him smiling at me with eyes that had already had at least one cup of coffee. I smiled back at him, warm and cozy in my fleece pajamas and a different kind of warmth in my heart.

We drove to the gym together this morning, and on the way passed by a house which had two electronic deer lit up in their front yard. You know the type- white wire with white lights on them. Except these two reindeer had been placed in a...precarious position that resembled something you would see in a National Geographic magazine. It's just weird to think of Rudolph actually doing that....anyway, my husband was driving so I didn't get a chance to snap a pic, and by the time we drove home someone had returned the Christmas symbols to their G-rated stances. I was sad not to get a snapshot- it was actually pretty darn funny. But only because my kids are too old now to wonder and ask, "Mommy, why is the one reindeer on top of the other like that?".

The library was on my list of things to accomplish today, and as I walked across the parking lot, a woman was loading her books and her dog into her car. I said hello, and she looked up to smile at me. She then said, "You look so stylish and pretty today". I was stunned. And flattered. I thanked her and completed my mundane chore with a spring in my step and a smile on my face. What a kind thing to do for a complete stranger- I'm sure that woman will never know how good her simple comment made me feel.

I had lunch with one of my best girlfriends, and we exchanged gifts. She is one of those people that is a great gift-giver, always picking out something perfect with a personal touch. Of course, it could be because she knows me so well that it just seems that way, as we have been through hell and back several times together with our friendship having only gotten stronger. We joke all the time about leaving our husbands and living together, knowing that there would always be someone with a glass of wine for you when you got home from work and would actually clean the toilet like it's supposed to be cleaned. My gift this year reflected our plot, consisting of three pairs of beautiful drinking glasses- 2 champagne flutes, 2 wine glasses, and 2 highball glasses. I just grinned as I opened them, immediately understanding the meaning, and thankful to have a friend that I can share the good times, the bad times, and alcohol with.

The next couple of hours were spent shopping with my husband, which is usually....well, painful. But for some reason, we got along famously, despite the crowded store. We weren't in need of anything in particular, and instead perused slowly, laughing at silly t-shirts and making comments about how sexy he would look in this Christmas-plaid bow tie...he disagreed.

I started packing for our trip to see the grand baby, which of course involved lists and spreadsheets (happy!). And as I looked up the weather where we will be staying...I realized it is going to be 70 degrees and sunny on Christmas Day! Hot dog, oh boy, yippee! I immediately threw in a pair of running shorts, determined to soak up some natural Vitamin D while away from home.

After dinner, I started the daunting task of wrapping presents. I turned on my Pandora, lit a candle, made a drink in my new highball glass, and went to work. I kind of get in a zone when wrapping presents. I love the cutting and folding, the process of choosing just the right bow and gift tag. It's a labor of love for me, and part of the gift itself. I love that moment when you get the last one under the tree and stand back to look at all of the boxes of love.

Tonight's picture celebrates a great day- one full of love, friendship, family, and a little silliness. It was a day to reflect on my gratefulness for the wonderful things in life that we sometimes take for granted. I hoe yours was filled with a little bit of each as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment