Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 05

Public libraries have been in America since the 1870's. I have been visiting this particular one since I was in the third grade. I grew up in its children' section (remember summer reading programs?), then progressed to the "teen" section ("I must-I must- I must increase my bust"), and finally into the main library.  It has seen me through summer vacations, being grounded from TV, and countless High School and college
projects. The library has grown and changed with me- from Microfish and Brittanica to the Internet and audio books. It has given me much more than I have given it, and I have enjoyed bringing my own children here and seeing what treasures we can find. I still go every week, despite owning both a Nook and IPad. There is something about holding a book in my hand that is just more satisfying, and I love the sense of community it makes me feel. Before there was Google- there was the library. I hope it continues to give generations after me what I have enjoyed- knowledge, quiet, discovery, entertainment, and escape. If you haven't been to your local library lately, you really should give it a try- I am always amazed at how much money people will spend on things u can borrow for free!!

No comments:

Post a Comment