Thursday, January 9, 2014

Day 09

Today my husband returned to work after having almost 3 weeks off. And that, my friends, is where my positivity story for the day begins.......

Odd, you may think, to be happy about your husband returning to work after having him home for so long. And yes, I admit I kept my phone with me all evening, waiting for him to call and talk with me about how each others' day went. But am I sad that he isn't here? No.

My husband is a firefighter. That means he works for 24 straight hours at the firehouse, then is home for the next 48 hours. This cycle repeats itself, despite weekends, holidays, and other important events. We met 18 years ago in the firehouse (I was an EMT/firefighter before I was a nurse), so this type of lifestyle has always just been part of who we are as a couple. When you take on a career in public service- firefighting, nursing, police work, etc.- you know there always has to be someone there to "take the call".

Sometimes I hear my friends talk about their significant other having to go on a business trip, or they split up for whatever reason after many years. They talk about struggles with sleeping alone, getting the kids to soccer practice, learning how to pay the bills or fix the faucet. And this makes me see how I have had the best of both worlds, and my husbands' absence every 48 hours has been a blessing in disguise.

I have learned that there is difference between being lonely and being alone. I don't wish loneliness on anyone, and have always been the type of person who can't stand for someone not to feel included, cared for, or left out. But I do think that everyone should be alone now and then, and learn how to be ok with it. You may be suprised at what you discover about yourself.

Here are some positive things I enjoy when alone:

1. Eating a tomato on bread with a glass of wine for dinner.
2. Eating an entire Ben and Jerry's ice cream container in one sitting for dessert without anyone seeing or knowing.
3. SHOPPING!!!
4. Running around the house nude. No, that's a joke. But I bet you smiled :)
5. Cleaning the house at night without the noise bothering my husband or son.
6. Leaving the light on next to my bed at night or playing on my IPad as long as I want without keeping anyone but myself awake.
7. Having an entire 24 hours with my son all to myself
8. Sleeping absolutely sprawled out everywhere on my king-sized bed

I've also discovered I can handle situations alone- from spider killing to yard work to flooded basements. And let me tell you- being a single-parent just once every third day has given me a respect for full-time single-parenting that some people may never understand.

So today's picture is about the pleasure of only turning down one side of the bed, and how being alone can actually be a postivie thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment