Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 20

Oh....to be a kid again. Well, at least there are parts of being a kid that I wish I could re-live, re-do, or re-peat. But I think the biggest thing that I miss is the lack of schedule and responsibilities, especially on snowy 3-day weekends like this.

Now don't get me wrong- I have a certain....fondness...for my schedules and lists. But I also know that many times they prevent me from being creative or using my imagination. I'm always plugging along on my "To Do" list, hardly straying to just soak up and enjoy life, or do something silly or unexpected.

Today the 10-year old had a friend over and, as expected, they did play electronics for a good bit of time. But suddenly, he walked out to the kitchen with nothing on but  his shirt and boxers, holding his halloween costume in his hand. This particular costume is called a "Morph suit", and reminds me of the footed pajamas toddlers wear with the addition of a headpiece that goes completely over their head.

After helping him into the suit, he disappeared back into his bedroom. Curious, I wandered back to see what mischief was being cooked up. I found both boys "suiting up" with masks, vests, and Nerf guns. They looked hilarious, but were very serious in their demeanor at that moment. So I asked, soberly, "Looks like you two are getting ready for something serious". They looked at me and said just as soberly, "Yes. We are getting ready to rob a bank". Well, of course. Silly me.

I vacated their "safe house" and let them continue to plan their assault, but took their picture when they came out into the kitchen. To the unknowing eye, it looked like Optimus Prime and a camoflouged Spiderman were getting ready to have a Nerf war. But with a little imagination, I could clearly see the 2 highly skilled and prepared bank robbers. They proceeded to go outside (yeah!) and get into my speedy get-away Honda , ambushed my husband when he got home and  drove into the driveway, and successfully relieved him of his workout bag. Unfortunately, the "bank" wasn't carrying his wallet in his bag, but overall I would say it was a success.

Later that day, I was thinking about imagination and creativity, and decided to veer from my list of things to do the rest of the afternoon. What did I do, you ask? I made cupcakes of course. And not just any cupcakes. I made chocolate fudge cupcakes, hollowed them out and stuck pieces of strawberries and marshmallow creme inside. Then I topped them with vanilla icing that I mixed with peanut butter and a little milk. Add a slice of fresh strawberry on top and....voila! Creativity, adult style. I didn't follow any certain recipe, but pulled from ideas that I had seen here and there. The result was not only an indulgent, tasty, and fun dessert, but a feeling of happiness and almost rebellion. Cuz let's face it- straying from the "To Do" list for me is definately rebellious :).

Today's picture respresents imagination and creativity, and the inspiration to just do something silly and unplanned once in a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment