Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 30

196 Days....That's 4704 hours, or 6 1/2 months, or half of a year.

It's also how many days my step-son was deployed overseas for the first time. And today was day 196.

Unfortuantely, his home base is in Texas and his parents live in Ohio. Luckily, his aunt and cousins got to meet him in the airport when he first landed in America at his connecting flight, so he had waiting arms to welcome him back.

But I am sure that nothing was better than when he stepped off that plane in Texas, and got to take his wife in his arms. 196 days. That's a long time to go without hugging your wife.

I am so proud of both of them. At 22 years old and less than 2 years of marraige, they have endured the last 6 1/2 months with more grace than many people twice their age. They have a bond that is unshakeable, rooted in friendship and grown with love.

So many young men and women over the decades have left their families and homes in order to help serve their country. Now that I have had a more personal encounter with this, I understand so much better what sacrifices they have made. So to all of you that may read this, I say thank you. I know it's your job, and you technically signed up for it, but I am thankful that you did.

And to my step-son and his wife, I can only hope that you have some time alone to celebrate being together again. That is, if the dogs will leave him alone- cuz they went 196 days without hugs or kisses too ;).

Today's picture represents the sweet anticipation of a loved one returning home from service.


No comments:

Post a Comment