Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 24

"So what did you do at school today?"

It's the obligitory parent line, asked a million times each night by parents everywhere. And I am no different. The 10-year old has had one holiday and 3 snow days though this week, so I was actually a bit curious as to how his day had gone. I got the usual answer- "not much, really" with an additional grumble about how much homework he has this weekend to make up for the unexpected "winter break II".

Now let me set the stage by telling you that my mom had picked up the 10-year old from aftercare today because I was working late, so I had asked the obligatory parent line in her presence...Suddenly, the 10-year old's face lit up and he said, "I can't wait to get home- it's Madden night". Perplexed, I looked questioningly at my mom. She just smirked like she had a little secret...


"What do you mean it's 'Madden night'?" I asked.

"Oh yeah Mom! Wait till I show you my list that I did at school today." My ears perked up at the word "list".

"Oh really? A list? Was this part of your school work today?"

"No, I just decided to make it up. It's a list of what video games I am going to play each day." Hearing a funny noise, I look over to find my mom trying not to giggle out loud. Obviously she had already seen this supposed list. "Imagine that, Stephanie. He made a list. I wonder where he got that from...."

Once we got home, the 10-year old proudly pulled out his list to show me, And to my delight, he has NOT made a list......he made a SPREADSHEET! Without anyone telling him to do so! I was so immediately full of pride and love that I overlooked the fact that the spreadsheet itself involved the inference that he was going to be allowed to play video games seven days a week...

By his decree, the spreadsheet now hangs on his bedroom wall, to help him stay organized and remind him of what he should be doing that day. And I ask myself- should I be proud or concerned? Oh who cares. It's Friday night, it's late, and I haven't made my TO DO list for the weekend yet. I dont' have time to worry about it :).

Happy Friday everyone. Hope you get everything checked off your list this weekend;).

No comments:

Post a Comment