Sunday, January 26, 2014

Day 26

If I were to have one single food weakness in this world....it would definately be donuts. They are the most perfect food in the universe. I'm not picky either- I love them all. Glazed, cake, frosted, sprinkles, cream filled, jelly filled, fritters,....even donut holes. I. Love. Donuts.

So imagine my delight when the 10-year old informs me Friday night that Krispy Kreme offers kids a free donut for every "A" on a report card. What?! Why couldn't they have had that when I was a kid?! What motivation! Of course, he told me this while holding his report card in his hand, and wearing a grin on his face...Resigned (and secretly delighted to have an excuse to get donuts), we made plans for a Sunday morning breakfast celebrating brain power with sugar.

When we woke up this morning, it was snowing like crazy! My husband and I tossed around the thought that maybe we should just make breakfast at home this morning. But in the end we wound up bundling ourselves up and taking the truck to the town next door and the closest Krispy Kreme.

Now I am 38 years old. And there is still something mesmerizing about looking through the window at Krispy Kreme and watching all those donuts go through the assembly line and transform from lumps of dough to shiny, golden circles. I itched to put my hands on the glass...but I refrained.

Sidling up to the counter, the 10-year old proudly displayed his report card and picked out his free donuts. His father and I joined suit, and soon we were sitting at a table, huddled together with our coats still on, grinning like idots at the feast before us. "I don't know which one to eat first!" I exclaimed, giddy with just the thought of that first bite into a creme filled donut where the white stuff squirts out the side a little (don't lie to yourself- you know it's awesome).

I like to think that we are a relatively healthy-lifestyle family, and I am passionate about preventing childhood obesity. But I also firmly believe that you have to spluge now and then, or else your chances of staying on the healthy path dwindle tremendously. Also, eating protein shakes and egg whites 6 mornings a week makes a chocolate cake and creme filled donut taste just that much better!

And what a neat way for a company to give back in a small, positive way. Yes, I know, it is really mostly a marketing ploy, as we surely wound up buying more than what we got for free. And yes, I realize that they were giving away donuts and not egg white omelettes. But they don't have to do it, and for a family like ours, it was a perfect way to celebrate something special. We were the only ones in there at one point and the manager came out to our table and brought the 10-year old some free donut holes, making it a point to say he had heard his report card was all "A"s and "B"s. Good move, Mr. Manager- we'll be back.

Today's picture is about celebrating hard work with something special. Oh and did I mention that I love donuts? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment