Monday, February 3, 2014

Day 34

A few years ago, my mom gave me a box full of stuff that she had saved over the years. That stuff was actually a treasure trove of old report cards, art projects, pictures, etc. I found my Kindergarten "report card", and as I read through it I was amazed at how my Kindergarten teacher could have been describing me at my current age.

Now, remember that Kindergarten was a lot different back then. Much less structured and more touchy-feely. There are three things I distinctly remember from that year- taking naps, fighting over who would get to ride the tricycles at recess, and not being able to use scissors. I was the only left-handed kid in the class, and I can still remember crying in frustration because I couldn't get the damn scissors to cut my art project. I also remember that the next day, my teacher had a special pair of left-handed scissors just for me. Looking back now, I'm sure she bought those with her own money. I don't even remember her name, and I wish she knew that I still remember her kindness after all these years.

Report cards were hand written then, and my teacher wrote out quite a bit, making it very personalized- something you rarely see these days. She had mostly positive things to say, and again I was intrigued at how my base personality was rooted in before I even started first grade. She wrote that I was a bright student- picked up on things fast but had trouble at times with questions that were not "black and white". I enjoyed problem solving, and planning (lists!)

She spoke about my patience and leadership attributes. I guess I used to get my work done before others frequently, and would be sure that those others around me didn't need help. I didn't mind taking time to explain things to my fellow Kindergardeners that were struggling with 2+3 or how to spell "cat". I also was always ready to lend a hand in passing out papers, cleaning erasers, or whatever else needed to be done to keep things running smoothly. 

Socially, I didn't know a stranger, and I asked a lot of questions. My poor mother used to probably dread taking me in public, afraid of what I may say or ask. She swears I asked an obese lady when her baby was due, but I'm sure she's lying...

I liked to teach others. My mom caught me one afternoon in front of the TV- unfortunately, an educational program on the delivery of a baby was on. My mom passively turned the channel, hoping I wouldn't make a big deal out if it. The next day she got a phone call from my teacher, as I guess I took it upon myself to get up on the table and explain/demonstrate to my peers where babies REALLY come from..

All in all, I'm still that same Kindergartener. I am patient, love to help others, problem sove, plan (lists!), and I love meeting new people. But most of all, I like to teach. It gives me such satisfaction to see that "lightbulb" turn on above someone's head when they finally understand something they've been struggling with. 

A year ago or so, my Associate Manager got me a USB port as a gift. Not just any USB Port. A USB port in the shape of Yoda. I had been training and grooming her for a couple of years at that point, and I lovingly referred to her at times as my Padawan. So I was touched that she would give me a short, wrinkly, green alien as a gift. Cuz let's face it, Yoda rocks. When it comes to teaching, loyalty, knowledge, patience, and leadership- Yoda is the whole package. He sits on my desk as a symbol and reminder of the kind of person/teacher/leader I want to be.

Today's picture represents the importance of having a mentor, and how at 5-years old we can already be a "mini-me".


No comments:

Post a Comment