Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Day 56

In my college years, I taught at a daycare. I know some people may think the term "teach" is loose when talking about 18-36 month old toddlers, but that is exactly what I did. I had to create an age-appropriate daily lesson plan based on the daycare's theme, and had responsibilities of ensuring they understood certain concepts (colors, counting, etc) before they could "graduate" to the next class.

Aside from the lesson plan, there were many life lessons that were taught in my class. A large portion of my kids were with me 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. So I played a huge part in teaching them how to use a spoon instead of their hand, how to put boogers on a kleenex instead of their finger, and the most important skill of them all- how to pee in the toilet.

Ahh, potty training. It is a skill that we adults many times take for granted, as it is now so second nature we can do it with our eyes closed, squatting on one leg, or at the same time we are carrying on a conversation with the guy at the urinal next to us. But like any other skill, it comes easier from some than others. And as any good teacher would do to help their students, I used positive reinforcement... in the shape of M&M's.

Forget the Klondike bar- you would be amazed at what a kid will do for a single M&M. I kept a clear jar of them on top of the toilet, and you got one of your color choice if you peed in the potty- and you received five M&M's if there was anything extra in the toilet when you were done. Additionally, the child would receive verbal praise in front of their peers- "Hey everybody, Jamie got an M&M!". This was especially cute when one of them would triumphantly emerge from the bathroom and get a high five from another 2-year old.

Today at work we started a renewed interest in meeting a specific goal for our surgical patients. I was so happy and impressed with the staff's engagement and sure enough- we peed in the potty on our first try. So I promptly went to my office and grabbed a bag of candy and brought it out for the entire staff to share in the victory. I also announced over our speakers that the Nurse and Respiratory Therapist had met their goal and everyone should congratulate them. There were high fives and fist bumps, and as the next shift came to work they were already asking about how they could earn candy too. I felt like the giddy preschool teacher again, watching as my toddlers gained pride not only in themselves, but with each other.

So today I celebrate the power of positive reinforcement, and the "sweet" rewards of success!


No comments:

Post a Comment