Thursday, February 20, 2014

Day 51

Today my head was full of memories. I got up earlier than usual because I wanted to see the night shift before they went home. Bleary-eyed (literally), I started my day like I normally would by going to the bathroom and taking a quick peek at Facebook on my phone. I realize that may be more information than you wanted- but I'm just trying to set the stage...

The first post that came up was from a nurse that worked for me when I was a manager. She was always such a level-headed and professional young woman, who was the first to help and last to complain. It was a long post, very well written and focused on what she felt the key components to being a successful manager and staff nurse were. There was a common theme about leadership in both of these roles, with a focus on teamwork. She said that nursing is not INdependant, but rather INTERdependant, and stressed the importance of helping each other.

Her post stuck with me throughout the day, poking it's way into my brain at quieter intervals (yes, including the bathroom again). I found myself today in a situation where I had a choice to make, and was struggling with which fork in the road to take. I am not a manager anymore, as I have chosen to teach and hopefully grow a new set of staff without what I consider the "hassles" of management- payroll, disciplines, evaluations, etc. I work with wonderful people and have a great boss, but at times struggle a little with remembering I am not the boss anymore.

So when I was faced with a complex situation in which I could stay quiet and mind my own business, or follow my gut and jump into a situation that would most likely get uncomfortable....I thought of my nurses' post and made my decision.

At the beginning of each month, I post a new quote outside of my office door. It's become a tradition, one that I know others look at because they will let me know if it's a few days into the month and there isn't a new one up. As I walked out of my office to follow-thru on the choice that I had made, I was suddenly face-to-face with February's quote. At the bottom I had handwritten- "Therefore you don't need a title to be a leader. Be a leader".

It was humbling, and a little embarrassing, that I had struggled to follow my own advice. But I closed my door with a little more purpose and self-assurance that I was "doing the right thing".

Leaders, like heroes, come in all shapes and sizes. Some have titles, and some don't. I saw a picture once that had an Egyptian Pharoah sitting on a throne which was being pulled by men as he pointed forward. Underneath was the word "Manager". The next pic showed the same Pharoah off his throne and at the front of the line of men, pulling his weight while at the same time looking back at his men and pointing forward. The word underneath was "Leader".

Today's pic is dedicated to all the leaders out there- both formal and informal. May you get  blisters on your hands as you help pull your team towards a goal, for it will be that much sweeter once you reach it this way. Go ahead- be a leader.


No comments:

Post a Comment