Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Day 50

Today is Day 50 of my blog. If you have 50 posts and 4 of them are about dogs, 6 are about family, and 16 include the word "list"...how many posts are left?

Word problems. Blech. The most dreaded part of Math for me growing up as a child. I don't mind math particularly, but prefer the kind that just has numbers, with an occasional "x" or "y" thrown in. Math doesn't come naturally for me like some- I have to work at it. I was actually going to be a doctor when I first went to college- until I got to Calculus that is. After 2 tries and 2 epic fails (literally), I decided that if I couldn't pass Calculus I probably shouldn't be a doctor...

My youngest is in 5th grade now. One of the funny things about being a parent is that just when you think you don't have to do homework anymore because you're an adult..."Hey Mom can you help me with this Math question?". 

Usually the answer is yes. But lately it's been leaning toward...maybe. Not that I won't try, but darn it, 5th grade Math isn't what it used to be! Our school district has changed how they teach Math (something called Singapore Math I think), so although he and I may come up with the same answer we go about getting it completely different. So that makes trying to explain and/or help a bunch of fun, let me tell you.

But I like the idea that there is more than one way to find an answer. Just because one person does something one way and another person gets there from a different path doesn't mean one person is right or wrong. Except maybe when it comes to folding towels- because there really is only one way that should be done...There may be quicker or more efficient ways to get a job done, drive from one location to another, or reach a goal. But maybe some people like the scenic route versus staying on the highway. 

So instead of getting frustrated (ok maybe I got a little frustrated at first, but I backed myself off) I took the time to show the 10-year old how I got my answer, and he showed me how he got his. He seemed to understand what I was showing him, but Singapore still has me a bit confused...I am going to have to get him a tutor by 7th grade to help him with homework at this rate. They don't teach Calculus in middle School do they?

Tonight's pic represents the age-old tradition of homework at the kitchen table, and the learning (and re-learning) that happens for both parent and child.


No comments:

Post a Comment