Saturday, February 8, 2014

Day 39

"Let's redo the bathroom". It's a simple sentence- only 4 words. New floor, a little paint, new toilet, vanity, and mirror. No wall removal, or plumbing and electrical changes. Piece of cake, right?

Wrong. So very, very wrong.

I have spent the last 12 hours laying ceramic tile. I chose tile that actually looks like wood flooring, so the process is a bit different than traditional square tile. It's a cross between laying tile and wood flooring- both of which I have done in other areas of our home. My husband has done the majority of the revamp- demolition, painting, new lighting, and floor prep. But laying tile requires patience and exact measurements- and this is where my ying is to his yang. So I decided to tackle the floor today while he is at work, decreasing the chance of him trying to "suggest" how I "might want to try it this way...".

Twelve hours. Our bathroom is skinny and broken up into 2 areas, so there was a lot of cutting involved. By 1 PM, I was ready to start with thinset. That's when the torture started...

I am pretty sure I invented some new yoga moves and had some plumber's crack going on today, as I  tried to balance precariously between bathtub and wall. I am very sure I invented some new cusswords. I was the female version of the father in A Christmas Story when he's trying to fix the furnace in the basement.

I have been on my knees all day (yes, you can insert a snicker here...). My legs and kness are so stiff that the  thought of just bending them to sit on the toilet had me pausing to reconsider if I really had to go. My back is sore, I have thinset in odd places (including up my nose, which once hardened is a bitch to get out by the way), and my hands are shriveled up from being wet all day.

But...it's done. And I did it all myself. So when I walk past or into that room, I will have a sense of pride about it. And if you happen to come over to my house, feel free to comment on it :). I'll admit that although I'm exhasted, it was a bit empowering to actually do something like that. Who needs a man to do home improvement? Not this tough, modern woman. So what will tomorrow bring? Framing a wall? Hanging trim? Learning how to put down a wax ring for a toilet?

Screw it. I'm gonna go get a manicure. That thinset was hell on my nails...


No comments:

Post a Comment