Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 57

After work today, the 10-year old asked if I would take him to Target. Well twist my arm....
I am searching for finishing touches for the newly remodeled bathroom, so off we went.

In the end, he was much more successful than I with the shopping trip, as he found what he was looking for and all I found was a bag of candy to share at work. We went to the cashier and each paid seperately, as his purchase required the use of his own money. His total was $7.95, and he carefully counted out eight dollar bills.

Receiving his nickel in change and saying thanks to the cashier, we started to walk outside. He made a comment about how he only got a nickel back and maybe he should give it to a hobo, even though it was just a nickel. I told him that would be five more cents than the hobo would have had before. Just inside the last set of doors, he bent over and placed the nickel on the ground. Alarmed and upset at first, I asked him what the heck he was doing- I assumed from his previous remark that he didn't see the value in "only" a nickel. He simply looked up at me, a little confused at my alarm, and told me that he was helping someone else have a lucky day, since there aren't really any hobos in our town.

Oh. Of course you were. Silly me...

So the next time you look down and see a penny or a nickel on the ground, pick it up and be thankful that you are now just a little bit richer than you were the moment before. Better yet- purposely go ahead and drop a penny or nickel somewhere noticeable once in a while. Chances are you won't miss it, but you may make someone else that you never even meet feel lucky and a little bit richer.


No comments:

Post a Comment