Friday, February 14, 2014

Day 45

Valentine's Day. A unique holiday, in that it can evoke such a wild array of emotions. Most holidays have one or two general "feelings" associated with them. Christmas- happiness and the age old anticipation of the guy in the red suit. Fourth of July- pride in our country and relief that Uncle John didn't burn the house down with his illegal fireworks.

But Valentine's Day.....there's love, of course. But there is also quite a bit of other emotions out there floating around that Cupid will have to duck and roll around:

Depression- Nobody loves me
Anticipation- Will tonight be the night he pops the question?
Anger- I can't believe he/she forgot Valentine's Day
Nervousness- This is our third date. Should I wear my sexy underwear?
Jealousy- Why would he choose her over me to go out with tonight?
Confusion- Um, honey the card in your handwriting on the roses you sent said, " Jane- Last night was great". My name is Nancy...
Obsession- How many pieces of clothing and jewelry with hearts on it can I wear in one day?

And then there's always acceptance. Acceptance of the fact that you know your husband loves you but you have been married too long for Valentine's Day to still have that sparkle-factor. I came home from work yesterday and my husband made a point to tell me that "tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I got you a card". He seemed very proud of the fact that he remembered to get a card the day before the holdiay, so I gave him a bit of a "What do you want? A freaking cookie?" look. He obviously did not catch my meaning because he went on to ask, " You forgot didn't you?" with a smug look on his face.

I didn't answer him, instead continuing to stare at him blankly. Mostly beacuase I was speechless. But also because I knew that if I did say anything, it would not be nice. And you know what they say- if you can't say anything nice....

This morning  I waited until both my husband and 10-year old were both out of bed, then I brought out their Valentine's Day gifts. That's right. Gifts. Not cards. Now it was his turn to just stare at me blankly. 

I found this stuffed pig that sings "Hunka Hunka Burnin Love" and dances when you squeeze his hand. The pig is wearing a chef's hat and apron that says "Kiss the Cook". I thought it was just perfect for my husband since over the last year or so he has truly become the one who cooks the most in our family.

I did also get him a card, but I didn't sign it. Instead, I simply wrote a sentence inside that said, "Now apologize for assuming I forgot". He did.

Today's picture represents a holiday that has brought couples together and torn them apart, invoked passion and desperation. I hope yours was filled with love and happiness, and that you got more than a card :).


No comments:

Post a Comment