Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day 288

I had a picture and story all planned out for my blog tonight. But as I got out of the shower and hollered at the 11-year old to brush his teeth for bed, I didn't get the usual response that somehow actually sounds like an eye roll (how do kids do that?!)...

Curious, I wandered into his room, only to find him fast asleep with his arm draped over our trusty family Mastiff. He still had his clothes on, and they had their heads where their feet were supposed to be, but no matter. They were in hog heaven. Ok, ok they were in dog heaven...

The Mastiff was able to look up at me without moving his head, somehow intuitively knowing the 11-year old was sleeping. That and a slight thump of his tail on the pillow was all that gave away the fact that he was still alert beneath his best friends embrace.

I decided that he could go one night without brushing his teeth. I pulled out a couple spare blankets from the closet and draped them over my son, marveling at how he could look so old and so young all at the same time.

Tonight's picture represents a boy and his dog, and the unwavering love that animals can show toward humans. I have friends that have lost their pets lately, and my heart aches for them. I don't know what we will do when our Mastiff leaves. I tear up just thinking about it, even though I know it will be years before that moment comes. But I know that having experienced the bond that forms with a family pet has been beneficial in multiple ways for the 11-year old, and I am thankful that he has someone he feels he can cuddle with- these preteen years are so awkward for boys. And let's face it- we all need to cuddle once in a while. It's good for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment