Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 300

For the last three months or so, I have focused my workouts on endurance instead of weight training. Today, I nervously pulled on yoga pants and waded into the weight area of my gym.

I've never really enjoyed lifting weights in a gym environment. I'm not a wussy, but I will never be the girl next to me who was doing arm curls with 20 pound weights. I feel self-conscious with all the mirrors around, and am certain that EVERYONE is looking at my ass when I bend over to do squats- and not because it's cute to look at....

Plus, there are so many fashion emergencies that distract me. There was a lady wearing black tights- like the kind you get out of a box at Walgreen's- and a tank top (and the tank top did NOT go below her waist). Why is that ok? Especially if you are over the age of 50 and...round? And I swear there was a guy dressed up like Hulk Hogan- except it wasn't his Halloween costume...

I started with leg presses, and felt relatively secure and happy with how I did. But then I got to the chest press. It was quite obvious very quickly that my upper body had not been seeing much action lately (ha ha). I wobbled through three sets of only the weight bar, a bit embarrassed by my grunting and sweating over such a light weight.

And since when did my crotch start being an area that sweats before any other area? I didn't even know you COULD sweat there. Well, I guess it could be something other than sweat- I did grunt quite a bit...

By the time I got to push-ups, I was feeling pretty wimpy. My arms were shaking, and I was pretty sure my ass was still over in the squat area somewhere. Oh well, it would eventually catch up to me. I took a look at myself in the mirror, and then looked around the gym and realized- I am the "older" lady at the gym. Crap. When did that happen? Must've been the same time my crotch started "sweating".

Suddenly, I gave myself a mental kick. Why was I being such a downer? I had done amazing things this year in the area of fitness. I bet that Hulk Hogan guy couldn't do a triathlon, and I was pretty sure tights-lady couldn't do 13.1 miles. I needed to stop worrying about everyone else and focus on just myself and my own goals and abilities. I found a quiet corner, closed my eyes, and took a few deep breaths. Then I powered out my plank and calf raises, with Pink and Christina Auguilera inspiring me with their girl-power awesomeness.

So today's picture is about learning to be ok with your limits, and taking a moment to reset yourself when you are getting too negative or distracted. Maybe it's homework, or housework, or being a new parent. Whatever it is- give yourself a break. Ask for help if you need it. Put a pantyliner in your yoga pants.  But whatever you do- don't give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment