Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day 303

Over the years, I have had the opportunity to have several massages. They have all been at spas, usually as gifts from my husband or my staff. They were lovely and relaxing, but after this summer I felt like I really needed something a little more intense. All the pounding pavement had taken it's toll on my feet and my back, making it feel at times that I needed to hang by my toes just to stretch everything out.

Enter Elizabeth Stout.

I was referred to Beth by a friend of mine, after complaining about the above aches and threatening to go see a chiropractor (a serious statement, as I have feared chiropractors all of my life. All the twisting and cracking just freaks me out). She assured me that Beth was legit, as well as someone who held many of my own philosophies regarding a healthy lifestyle.

Beth spent a few minutes with me before the session discussing my lifestyle, exercise routines, and pain issues. We discussed how I hoped for something deeper than a traditional massage, and she explained that she used a lot of trigger point therapy, focusing on a therapeutic session with my specific needs in mind.

Let's do it.

An hour and a half later, I was amazed at the difference in this woman's style than any other I had been to. Her ability to put pressure in just the right spot was amazing. There was plenty of relaxing parts, but my favorites were honestly the ones where she would just press on what seemed a nondescript area and I would feel a sudden pressure that almost hurt- in a delicious, good way. That "Oh! Oh. Ohhhh......"kind of feeling. She focused on the areas I had abused all summer- shoulders, feet, hips, and upper back. I had to focus on not drooling at one point, and I am pretty sure a moan escaped a couple of times...

Afterward, she told me it was my traps that had needed the most work, which was probably why I had been having upper back discomfort and not sleeping well. We talked again about the difference between therapeutic massage and the traditional. She said that most people look at massage as something to do after a sports season is over, when in reality it's best to do throughout. Massage can help to prevent injury, and studies have shown it to help boost your immune system. Plus- the best part? Only $45 per hour, which is way cheaper than any place I have been before.

I'm in.

Today's picture represents taking care of your body, sometimes in a more non-traditional way. I plan on making therapeutic massage a regular part of my lifestyle. Somebody asking you want you want for Christmas? Drop them a hint about Elizabeth, or a masseuse near you. I guarantee you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment