Thursday, October 23, 2014

Day 296

This evening was one in which I seriously contemplated if someone or something had invaded the body of my 11-year old. I do not get frustrated easily, but tonight I was ready to lose a gasket.

It started when I got home from a longer-than-usual day at work to discover that my 11-year old had volunteered to bring tacos to the end-of-quarter party they are having in Spanish class tomorrow.

Tacos. Seriously? You couldn't have volunteered chips and salsa? And his Spanish class is first period. Gross- tacos for breakfast are only ok when you are still drunk at breakfast time...

I was told not to worry, that he and Dad had gone to the store and bought everything. Great. When I asked him how he planned on getting the taco meat to school and to keep it warm...cricket....cricket.

So...as I was frying up four pounds of ground beef, he tells me that he couldn't finish his Social Studies homework. He stated that neither him nor his father could figure out how to gain access to the online textbook that would allow him to complete his assignment. I made him pull up the teacher's website on the IPAD while I stirred his Spanish project. Sure enough, there were the words "Social studies text". I asked him how he and his dad could have missed it....cricket....cricket.

I continued to peruse the teacher's website, and discovered that he has a  project due on Monday. When I asked him about it, he told me it was a group project. "Are you done with it?" ...cricket...cricket.

Turns out, he has to have two "annotated bibliographies" done by Monday. I asked him if he knew what an annotated bibliography was (mostly because I had no freaking clue)...cricket...cricket.

Forty-five minutes later, after digging through his backpack and talking with another mom in his class, I think I figured out what is actually going on. I still have no idea what an annotated bibliography actually is, but figure I can Google it and we can get it done by Monday...

I got the meat cooked up and placed in the refrigerator, ready to go in the crock pot tomorrow morning. The 11-year old got his homework done without having to withstand bodily harm from his mother. A plan was formed on how to get 4 pounds of ground beef, taco shells, and cheese to the school in the morning- luckily I have a great boss who totally understands situations such as these...

Just as I was thinking I had everything under control again, my husband asked (from the couch where he had been watching football through this entire ordeal) how I was going to get the Crock Pot back home.

...Cricket...cricket....

A quick text later, another generation of Mom saved the day. I now have my mother coming to the school after the Spanish taco breakfast to pick up the Crock-Pot. Whew. Thanks Mom- I seriously have to get you a cape.

So tonight's picture represents making it through an evening without strangling your pre-teen procrastinating child, and celebrates Moms everywhere who have somehow managed to get last minute projects done with their kids and saved the day. I can still remember finding out on a Sunday that my oldest had a science project due on Monday. Like, the exploding-volcano-kind-of-science-project. That was fun. But as I tucked my 11-year old into bed tonight, I told him that I understand middle school is very different than elementary, and that it has to be very hard to keep everything straight. "But", I told him, "you aren't eating any breakfast when you wake up tomorrow. You are eating those darn tacos in Spanish class!"...cricket...cricket...



No comments:

Post a Comment