Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Day 189

The 11-year old and I were perusing movies, trying to select something that we both wanted to watch. Luckily, we both like action films. Unluckily, there weren't many available that we haven't already seen.

We came upon the latest Kevin Costner movie, "3 Days to Kill", which depicted the actor brandishing a pistol on the front cover.

"Who is that?" asked the 11-year old.

"That's Kevin Costner".

Again- "Who is that?"

Seriously?

"What other movies has he been in?"

I racked my brain, and came up with a slew of titles:

Bull Durham
WaterWorld
The Postman
Field of Dreams
The Bodyguard
Robin Hood
Tin Cup

And those were just off the top of my head.

He looked at me blankly.

"He was the dad in Man of Steel", I say.

Oh yeah!

Humph. Am I really that old? I can still remember my step-daughter asking me years ago who my favorite actor is. When I replied with Harrison Ford she looked shocked and disgusted. "He's old!", she cried.

Humph.

The 11-year old enjoyed the movie, and I was happy to see that Kevin still has some spunk, even though he admittedly is "the old guy" in this movie. He still kicks the bad guys butts though, and gets to kiss the girl. OK- he gets to kiss hte woman who has a teenage daughter... When it was over I told him, "See? Just because your Daddy and I like an actor that was mostly in movies you don't recognize doesn't mean that actor and their movies aren't good. There are plenty of movies made before 1990 that you would enjoy!"

This evening he came home from the library with 3 movies, two of which have one of his favorite actor (Adam Sandler) in it- Grown Ups 2 and Bedtime Stories. The third movie? A John Wayne flick. Yup- his Dad's all time favorite actor. As in his-first-born-son-is-named-after-him favorite actor....

Today's pic represents favorite actors and oldies-but-goodies. And yes, Harrison Ford is old. Now. But there is not denying that Hans Solo and Indiana Jones were just plain awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment