Friday, July 18, 2014

Day 199

Rain, rain, go away already!

Seriously, it has been one wet summer here. Today we drove to Lake Cumberland to spend the weekend with family. We pulled in the driveway to the cabin- and it started to rain.

We have 2 boys with us, and it didn't take long for them to get bored. Luckily, there was a break in the leaking skies, so we all scurried outside in search of earthworms for fishing later this weekend.

My husband and I went on night crawler patrol, and the boys took off towards the woods to explore. Soon enough, they returned asking for a Tupperware container, holding cupped hands out in front of them.

"Crap", I thought. 

"Whatcha find boys?"I asked warily. 

"Toads". Whew.

They had more success than we did, finding a total of 10 toads to put in their Tupperware container that we poked holes in. My husband and I only found a few worms big enough to skewer with a fishing hook. 

Oh, and we found a baby copperhead. That was adventurous. I might have screamed a little...

All 10 toads now have names, and there are plans to have toad races tomorrow. The next search involved finding bugs for them to eat- which is where I graciously bowed out. I figured dealing with worms and snakes was enough for any mom in one day.

So today's pic celebrates a child's fascination with "catching" Mother Nature. Whether it was fireflies or toads, almost all of us can say at one time in our life we had a jar or box with holes in the top. It's still raining this evening, but the boys are happily playing Monopoly and I have an umbrella- in my PiƱa Colada.....

No comments:

Post a Comment