Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 195

Last summer, we visited our good friends in West Virginia for the Fourth of July. This town goes all out for the all-american holiday, including a parade and 5K. My girlfriend's parents throw an annual barbecue, complete with a swimming pool, potato salad, and of course- fireworks. The kind which are totally legal of course....

Her step-dad is an avid gardener, having transformed their back and side yards into havens of color, most of which are actually perennials. Wandering to the side of the yard that is hardly ever seen by anyone, I noted an unusual-looking flower hiding along the ground. It was attached to a sort of vine, and was mostly buried in between other plants and shrubs.

Bending over and looking closer, I realized I was looking at the most intricate and interesting flower I had ever seen. And it smelled glorious. When I asked what it was, my friend's step dad replied that it is called a Passion Flower. 

Indeed.

It is almost erotic to look at for some reason, and the scent it gives off would put any flower-loving woman into high gear. He told me it grows on a sturdy vine that is almost impossible to kill, but there aren't a lot of flowers for the amount of plant that grows. Most people like flowery vines such as roses or wisteria. And I'm sure it must take a lot of energy to produce something so intricate!

He happily pulled some up by the roots and sent me home with my own baby Passion Flower vines to start at home. The vine came up quickly late this spring, but I have anxiously been awaiting the first bloom. I planted them directly next to my sitting area on the patio, with the hopes that someone sitting close by can enjoy it's heavenly aroma. Today, I was rewarded with a purple surprise half-hiding under one of the leaves.

This picture doesn't totally do the flower justice- I don't own a "real" camera. But you can at least get the idea of how different and unusual this flower is.Today's picture represents how sometimes quality is better than quantity, and the amazing things that Mother Nature creates!

No comments:

Post a Comment