Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day 112

As I was out for an evening jog, I decided to run through the parking lot of our town's Middle and High school campus. I only live a few streets over, and it's a nice flat area to get a warm-up started.

As I crossed from neighborhood to school property, I looked to my left and was instantly transported back 25 years- for up on the field was our Middle School girl's softball team.

I played softball in middle school. Having never really played the sport before that, I was nervous about trying out- most of the girls had been playing rec ball for years, and this was fast pitch. But, I decided to give it a try, knowing that it would give me something to do after school and secretly hoping my teenage butt would look cute in those softball pants...

I quickly learned how behind I was during tryouts. I could catch pretty well, but my aim wasn't spot on or fast. I could hit most balls, but not as far as many of the other girls. My advantage?

Speed. I was all legs at that age and could get from home plate to first base quicker than most, despite my lack of homerun abilities. I could also get to a ball in the outfield well- I even caught it some of the time...

I worked my butt off the next couple of weeks, coming early and staying late to practice drills and hit balls into the fence. And when it came time to pick a team, I nervously approached the coaches.

I made it. Barely. I mean they literally told me that. And I was never so happy to be last in my life.

I continued to work extra hard, and finally the day before our first game arrived. I had no real expectations of playing much unless we were creaming the other team, but was going to be happy to root on my teammates and wear the cute pants.

The head coach came up to me during practice as I was (again) hitting a ball into a fence, trying to get my swing even so I would stop hitting pop-ups (my nickname was "Sky"..). He proceeded to tell me that I was going to start our first game. In right field of course, but still. Starting. He told me that I had earned the position by working so hard and being part of the team. He also told me not to make him regret the decision, then walked away.

I don't even remember if we won that game, or if I caught a ball in right field. But I do remember the feeling of pride and accomplishment when the coach told me I had earned a spot on the field. I eventually got to play some first base and center field as I got older (again- great at catching, sucky at throwing...). I've told that story to all three of my kids, hoping to teach them that hard work and perserverance will pay off.

So today's pic celebrates memories of spring days on the ball field, and reminds us that hard work deserves to be recognized. So be sure to tell others you notice when they are working hard and/or improving- because everyone doesn't have to be the pitcher or shortstop. For some, right field is awesome when you started on the bench.


No comments:

Post a Comment