Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day 98

It's a carrot. I think...

Sitting at my desk today, munching on my lunch of carrots and hummus, I pulled out this piece of nature. My first reaction was not positive, I will admit. Kind of like, "Ew, what's wrong with this carrot? It's not normal". 

But then I stopped myself. There was nothing "wrong" with this carrot- It was just different. It was still orange. It was still going to taste like a carrot. And as I turned the carrot around and around in my hand, I began to smile. 

Hold it one way, it looks like a tree stump with a couple of stubby branches. Turn it another way, it looks like an alligator with it's mouth open. And turn it yet once more- it looks like a cowboy boot. What started as a negative impulse turned into me playing with my lunch at my desk.

So the carrot re-taught me an age-old lesson today. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because something or someone looks different doesn't mean there's anything "wrong". In fact, if you stop and take the time to get to know this thing or person- you may discover that "wrong" is really "unique", and well worth your time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment