Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day 128

I am one of those. One of those people who still lives in the town she grew up in. In fact, I now live literally only one street over from the house I spent my childhood in. I've lived other places, love to travel, and honestly don't envision being here once all the kids are gone- but for now, my childhood hometown is also my adult hometown.

There are perks to this, especially if you are the sentimental type. I know all the nooks and crannies of the neighborhoods, and can remember when this town didn't even have a McDonalds or WalMart. Raising kids here has its advantages too. My son went to the same elementary that I did, and it was spooky and cool all at the same time when I went there to sign him up for Kindergarten. I will also know where to go looking for him when he becomes a teenager, as I am well aware of where all the hangouts and makeout places are within these city walls...

Today we took the 10-year old to flag football practice, located at one of the city's parks. This park does have an official name (Shoup Park), but most people know it as "the one with the slide". Sounds weird, right? I mean, what park doesn't have a slide?

Trust me- they don't have a slide like this one.

Shoup Park boasts a metal slide that is built into a hillside. It's at least 50 feet long, and is the main reason this is the most popular park in our town. It seems to be the perfect height for all ages, and you will see both  toddlers and adults lined up for their turn to go down.

Now, if you are really feeling adventurous, you would be amazed at how a single piece of wax paper can make this slide go from fun to fun. Suddenly, instead of slowing down and stopping at the bottom of the hill, you are ejected from the end much like when we all used to jump off the swingset into the air.

It's awesome.

How do I know? Because I myself have been done that slide countless times as a child. In fact, I probably have scars somewhere on my body from waxed paper trips gone awry.

There's something neat about watching little kids go down that slide as an adult, remembering how that was once you, and then your child, that was giggling and/or screaming on the way down. I'm sure a few people were wondering why I was taking pictures of the slide tonight, but I know there will be some people who read this that will have memories of this hometown staple, and smile as they remember flying off the end of it.

Tonight's pic represents having the opportunity to relive childhood memories, and to watch your own children make theirs in your footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment