Saturday, May 10, 2014

Day 130

There's something ageless about a bowling alley.

I mean, it's 2014, and you can step into almost any bowling alley and it will feel almost exactly the same as it did 20 or even 30 years ago. There are same types of tables where the chairs are connected to the tables. The same dark lighting. The same sound of balls hitting pins. You look up and down the alleys and see kids doing granny shots and adults fist-pumping the air after getting a strike or a spare.  There's always a bar and a snack area selling pizza and fried food. Linoleum flooring and carpet that has some kind of glow-in-the dark print on it.

And the shoes, of course. They are still the same, ugly, two-colored flat-footed can't-look-cute-no-matter-what-outfit-you-wear rental shoes. 

There's groups of teenagers, parents with young children, birthday parties, older couples that are actually good at the game, and the occasional couple on their first date. That's one of the great things about bowling- pretty much anyone can do it. Maybe not do it well, but at least have fun and be social.

I think the only thing that is different about bowling alleys these days is (at least in my town) that you can actually see all these things because there isn't a constant smoke haze in the air- smoking is not allowed inside any more. I can remember when my older kids were on a bowling league and I had one specific jacket I would wear because I knew I would come home smelling like a smokestack.

So today's pic celebrates the timeless game of rolling a heavy ball towards a bunch of white wooden pins. 




No comments:

Post a Comment