Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 131

Genetics has always interested me. The way that physical attributes, skills, and even interests are passed down from generation to generation is something that I believe sometimes goes unrecognized.

My mom and I share genetic traits, and it so obvious at times that there is no way it could go unrecognized. We have the same thick, light brown hair. We are tall with long legs and big feet. I look at my hands and sometimes do a double-take, as they are so similar to the hands that raised me as a child.

We are both terrible liars- don't ever ask us to play a part in a practical joke. It's too much like lying- we suck at it. We have the patience of a saint and have had successful full-time careers while raising children. My love of lists? Yep- I learned from the best. We are both OCD when it comes to planning anything- we start planning our Thanksgiving meal in October together....

We love to read, are both relatively musically inclined, and love to garden. We could both happily ride in a boat all day, and find happiness in feeding other people.

But the scary part is how we both have the same taste in clothes, furniture, and other things. We have been known to go shopping and pick out the same blouse to show each other, and could both spend hours in TJMaxx or Pottery Barn. We have bought the same comforter for our beds- without being with each other or even knowing the other was looking for something new.

And of course, there is the infamous couches. Yes, we bought the same living room set. Again, having no idea the other was looking for a couch or had purchased one. My mom and step-dad came over one evening and all of a sudden they got this weird look on their face. "We just bought this couch and chair", she said. My husband and step-dad just looked at each other and rolled their eyes...

Yup, genetics are a funny thing. I'm proud of mine. And I know that I have passed some down to my son- he has my big brown eyes, patient demeanor, and he likes lists....

Today's pic celebrates the magic of genetics, and a daughter's recognition of the gift that it is. All I have to do is simply look down at my hands and I get to have an instant memory of the woman who I call Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment