Saturday, May 17, 2014

Day 137

On days that I think my life is chaotic, I like to go visit friends of ours that have five children. The mom and I went to High School and played sports together, and our husbands and sons have also become friends now that we are adults. They have four handsome boys, and a daughter that will never have to worry about sharing a bedroom. 

Today I went over to pick up their oldest, who was coming to our house for the night. Pulling into their long driveway, the first thing you are greeted by is Rigby. Rigby is one of the two dogs this family has rescued, and gives our Mastiff a run for his money in size. He was happily chewing on two small children's winter boots, and was immediately ecstatic to have visitors. Noting the garage was open, and figuring Rigby likes to find "treasures", I picked up the boots and headed to the front door. 

Once inside, I handed the boots over and was immediately assaulting by sound. Five kids are loud enough, but add in four dogs....

Yes, that's right. Four dogs. Two that are officially theirs and two puppies that they are fostering. Fostering is how they wound up with their own two dogs, and a month or so they got another call.

Someone had dropped off 7 very small puppies at The Humane Society, and they needed help. Two of the pups were already dead when they were found, and the other five were not in good shape. They had been neglected and were starving, with bellies that were bloated while the rest of them was skin and bones.

And so, RJ and Elsa found themselves a foster home. 

As chaos reigned in the family room, I noticed that Elsa sat next to the couch, cool as a cucumber. I was intrigued, and sat on the steps to let all of the dogs get a better chance at sniffing and licking.

Elsa calmly came over, and I couldn't resist picking her up and putting her in my lap. She immediately pressed into my chest and melted into me like butter. And as three other dogs and five children took their circus outside, Elsa and I sat and gave each other googly-eyes. 

I don't understand how someone can mistreat a living thing. I just don't. But Elsa and her siblings are all doing great, thanks to volunteers like my friends who open their doors and their homes, even when they are already pretty darn full. 

So today's pic says thank you to those who have ever fostered or rescued.  Oh, and I'm taking my husband back tomorrow to meet Elsa. She would be a perfect match for our Mastiff....



No comments:

Post a Comment