Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 149

Last year, I deemed myself the Tomato Goddess. I only grew three plants, and was overrun with tomatoes by the end of the year. I canned, cooked, diced, and gave away more Lycopene than you can imagine.

But it wouldn't have been possible without the kindness of someone else.

I had tried and tried for several years to grow tomatoes in my back yard. I tried them in the ground and in pots. I tried different areas of my yard. But nothing seemed to work.

A friend of mine's mother is an amazing organic gardener, and I told her my brown thumb woes one evening when we were all out shopping. A few days later, she presented me with over three pages of handwritten instructions on how to grow tomatoes.

Three pages. All about one kind of plant. No wonder I hadn't been successful- this was way more involved than I thought!

Although it was three pages long, it truly walked me through every step of planting and caring for the tomatoes all summer long. And you know me....I love directions and lists. So I dug and fertilized and planted.

And became the Tomato Goddess.

This year, I took it a step farther and planted tomato seeds. I wasn't sure if it would work, so I planted a bunch of them. Well... it worked, and now I am handing out tomato plants to whoever will take one!

Tonight I pulled out my three pages of Tomato instructions and copied them for a friend who I gave a tomato plant to. Her son is chomping at the bit to plant a garden, and can't wait to get his tomato plant in the ground. He started asking about what other kinds of things he could plant and grow. Of course, Fruit Loops were at the top of his list, and he was a bit dejected when he was told that unfortunately Fruit Loops do not grow on plants...

So tonight's pic represents passing the torch. And the art of growing tomatoes. If anyone else wants the magical directions, just let me know :).

No comments:

Post a Comment