Sunday, August 3, 2014

Day 215

Today I got brave and rode my bike on the road instead of the bike path. With no particular destination in mind, I set off north towards the outskirts of town.

Now, you would think that the "outskirts of town" wouldn't have much traffic. At least that's what I thought.

I thought wrong.

Admittedly, I did decide to ride just as church was letting out, and I passed by at least one emptying it;s parking lot in the first leg of my journey. But jeez, you'd think people who just went to church would be more patient and understanding to someone trying her darndest to stay as far over on the road as possible...

I took a right turn heading east, hoping to steer away from the bulk of drivers. And although I hadn't been out that way in quite a while, I was fairly certain I knew where I was going.

Wrong again.

I had enjoyed this leg of the ride, the weather being perfect and the farms I passed were in all their glory. But then suddenly I was at a juncture I recognized and knew was definitely not anywhere close to where I thought I had been  headed...

Ten years ago, this would have been a panic moment. There I was, in the middle of the country, and of course now there wasn't a freaking car to be seen. But all I had to do was pull my phone from my pack and hit the "maps" app.

How did we survive before this? I bet my 11-year old doesn't have a clue how to read a real, paper map. I don't even know if we own one anymore. But my phone was able to not only tell me exactly where I was through it's built in GPS- it could also show me how to get home.

I took advantage of the pit stop and fueled up with my power gel, then hit the road again for the ride home. It was full of more beautiful countryside, and the time really did seem to speed by. I could get used to that.

Today's pic celebrates GPS and how modern technology has helped so many of us who struggle with maps and sense of direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment