Sunday, August 24, 2014

Day 236

I love food. It's the main reason I exercise. When my husband and I travel, places to explore new cuisine are at the top of our "to do" list (why yes, I do have a "to do" list while on vacation...).

I love to cook and bake as well, but don't nearly get as much time as I'd like to do so. But today I got lucky and had the opportunity to expand from boxed mashed potatoes and frozen chicken breasts.

Now, my cooking isn't necessarily anything to write home about, but I do have some skills here and there. But luckily, summer and my garden made today's menu easy-peesy. The only thing on my plate that didn't come from my own backyard was the steelhead trout, and it all came together with nothing more than salt, pepper, and olive oil.

This was my first time growing butternut squash (a favorite in our household), and like most home-grown vegetables, the flavor was phenomenal. It was one of those I-have-to-close-my-eyes-because-this-is-so-darn-good kind of moments.

The last of my zucchini and squash also made it to the table, and of course- a fresh picked tomato. Yummo.

When I realized that literally everything except the fish was something I had grown, I had to take a picture- almost like a proud mother would of her kids all dressed up and going to prom. I've been sneaking peeks into people's backyards lately as we drive places, and it seems as though I am noticing more and more vegetable gardens- I'm not sure if there really is an increase, or if it just seems like it since I haven't really paid attention before. Either way, it's such a positive thing to see, because you just can't go wrong when you eat something that's been grown by your own hands.

When I was in school for my bachelor's degree, I had to write a grant proposal on a topic that was related to my final project. Since I had chosen childhood obesity, I wrote a grant for a community garden. In doing research, I found that there were already some really cool projects out there, many of them in inner cities where kids just aren't exposed to fresh food much. Families and communities learn not only how to grow food, but how to prepare it. One high school even taught their kids the financial end of growing food- they were taught how to calculate cost of planting and then sold their crop at a local Farmer's Market. Great stuff.

All it takes is a little dirt and water. Start with a pot, or even a bucket. One tomato plant that is cared for will reap 50 times it's money by the end of the season. Same with zucchini- more than one plant and you won't know what to do with all you've got.

I can still remember helping my grandpa in his garden- mainly I remember the green beans that grew up the chain link fence each summer. It was my job to pick them and then pinch off the ends for supper. It's a fond memory that I will carry for me always. Hopefully, I can pass on that tradition with my own child, and teach him that not all food has to come from the grocery store...

Tonight's pic represents knowing where your food truly came from. So start a garden. Show your kids that growing your own food is a healthy alternative to canned green beans or boxed mashed potatoes. Because lord knows, if the zombie apocalypse actually happens like in those shows and video games they watch, they are gonna need some farming skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment