Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 232

Finally!

My tomatoes are turning red!

My smaller Roma tomatoes have been ripening like crazy the last week or so, but my larger ones were just being plain stubborn.

The last couple of days have been nice and warm though, with humid nights to add fuel to the ripening fire.

They started their journey from green to light orange a few days ago, and I have been watching them like a hunter watches prey- waiting for just the right moment to pluck then at their most flavorful point.

I picked my first big one today. And boy was it a doozie!  Bigger than my hand and easily weighing 5 pounds, I couldn't wait to slice into it.

I could eat tomatoes every day, with every meal. Eggs with fresh tomatoes on top. Turkey sandwiches with thick slices of tomato in the middle. And grilled chicken salad with fresh tomatoes and other garden veggies. Or toasted bread with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil on top....I could go on and on...

I made a grilled turkey sandwich for dinner and cut a super-thick slice of "mater" to go inside it. The one slice was actually bigger than the slice of bread...

Yum.

Tonight's pic celebrates the fruit of one's labor (literally in this case), and how being patient many times pays off. And now for an evening snack of tomatoes and cottage cheese...


No comments:

Post a Comment