Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Day 217

Today was a long one at work. We have a regulatory survey going on, which is always a nerve wracking situation. Throw in an emergent open heart surgery late in the day- and there's no way I'm getting out of there on time.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I love my job and have no problem with the fact that some days you get out on time- and some days you don't. Taking care of patients and their families who are facing the scariest part of their lives keeps things in perspective pretty well.

That being said, I knew that a workout was going to be out of the question this evening. Again- not complaining, but there was definitely a part of me that was a bit grumpy about it. I headed out towards my car and got a text from one of my girlfriends:

"We walking tonight?" 

This from the woman who a year ago felt guilty not watching her kids' entire practice in order to exercise. Not anymore- she has lost a bunch of weight since last season and is actually giving advice to other mom's out on the field!

I responded that I was just now headed to practice, which had already started, and would have to bow out for tonight. Then I "harrumph"ed and got into my car.

Our kids practice at the local middle school, and the parking lot is literally probably a half-mile from the actual area where they practice. So I figured I'd at least get a little walk in, as I headed towards our boys in black. 

It took me at least twenty minutes to get there. Why? Because I stopped and got stopped along the way. My first interaction was with my husband, who was talking with friends from another team. When I asked him why he was over there, he responded that he had been running on the track and just stopped by. He also told me how far he had ran- "I'm getting better!" he proudly said.

Another mom on that team was one I had stopped to talk to yesterday, telling her I had noticed her out on the track and she was kicking butt. She grinned from ear to ear and announced she had run 2.9 miles- the longest she had ever done. She has a goal to run her first straight 5K in September.

I rounded the bend to our practice field and waved to one of the moms on our own sideline. She had asked me at the end of practice yesterday if I ran or walked every day and if she could join me. "Did you walk today? Sorry I totally jipped you- got stuck at work late."

Another grin- "I actually ran some!" she said. I gave her a high-five and promised to get out with her later this week. "You were my inspiration to go do it!" she said. 

Huh. I'll be damned.

When I was on the track yesterday, I got passed by a friend who is an avid walker, but I have never seen run. She jogged right past me, looking great in her pink outfit (and matching pink running shoes. Yes, I notice things like that...), and I let out a whoop- "Look at you! You go girl!!" She beamed despite the sweat rolling down her face, and kept on trucking.

So as I started to think about the last couple days, I realized that I got just about the same dopamine rush hearing, seeing, and thinking about these other women's successes as I did working out myself. Just with a lot less sweating. 

I finally made it to watch the last part of the 11-year old's practice, taking videos of him (much to his dismay) to review at home and learn from. When it was time to go home, I headed toward my car- still in my work uniform. I came across another mom who started towards me with- you guessed it- a grin on her face. She was in her workout gear, earbuds still in place. "I just ran my fastest 5K and mile ever!!!" she exclaimed. 

Another high five. We talked for a minute about how weight training has helped decrease her time, and the rush she felt when her phone app told her what her time was in her ear. You go girl.

Or make that girls...plural. I walked the rest of way to my car with my own grin on my face. 

I started out the evening upset about being late to football practice. It ended up being a much better evening than I anticipated. So today's pic represents what this project has been all about- finding the positive in the negative. It also represents the positive energy generated from boosting and encouraging each other to be healthier. Keep it up girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment