Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day 233

Most people hate goong to the dentist. Not me. I actually look forward to going. Because my dentist office does it right.

I switched to Dayton Dental Collaborative 6 or 7 years ago on a referral from several people I worked with. My childhood dentist had severely disappointed me (aka pissed me off) with a root canal debacle, and I decided enough was enough.

As soon as I entered the building, I knew this was a dentist office like no other. The office itself was designed by none other than the lead dentist's architect wife. It is very modern, but with a clean, zen-like feel and appearance. They use music and aromatherapy throughout the public areas, and there is light and space everywhere. The usual magazines found in waiting rooms are replaced with picture books you would find on your coffee table at home.

Your first interaction of course is with the receptionist, and as pretty as the building is, the true reason I am glued to this place starts here. I have never been somewhere that every single person is so highly engaged, professional, and downright friendly. 

Over the years, I have come to discover their secret. From what I can tell, those employees love to work there. Why? Because they are taken care of and are proud to work in a place that has such high standards. 

Hmmm....

Seriously- Dr. Shelhouse doesn't mess around. No corners are cut, his staff are the best at what they do and are immaculately dressed, he only uses the best equipment and contracts out with only the best labs. There are several dentists in the office, and I have probably seen all of them. And each and every one puts my old family dentist to shame. I mean, the first time I was there I couldn't believe how thorough of an exam they did- they checked my tonsils, my throat glands, sinuses...I was just waiting for them to pull out a stethoscope and listen to my lungs....

I've had the same hygienist for awhile now, and I just love her too. Tabitha is not only good with her evil sharp dental tools, she is totally dedicated to helping her patients achieve the best oral care outside of the office too. She always asks about my dental routine at home, and makes real-life suggestions for how to improve things based on my personal needs. She sees my whole family, and through comments that she makes throughout my visit I know that she remembers exactly who they are, even though they are only there a few times a year.

Tabitha is also training for her first marathon, and knows that I have been training for triathlons, so she makes sure to always ask me how my training is coiming along. We swap workout and diet stories, and I never feel rushed or like I'm just another patient.

Tonight's pic was taken from the dentist chair. Each room is set up this way so that the patient can look outside during their visit. Gonna have some heavier work done? Schedule it on the right day and you will get a hand massage from their masseuse while the evil drill is at work. It's amazing how much that helps reflect your attention away from what's happening in your mouth!

This pic represents how going to the dentist doesn't have to be something you dread. Like I said, these guys get it right. And because of that, I don't miss appointments. I come out of there not only feeling like I received great care, but with a renewed vision of how I myself want to be as a healthcare provider.   Knowing how good it is to receive excellent care makes me even more determined to give it!


No comments:

Post a Comment