Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 227

I was actually looking forward to going to work today. I have tons of office work to catch up on, and I was hoping today would be one that I could clear some more piles from my desk. I even did my hair cute. 

As I pulled out of the driveway, I noticed an odd sound coming from underneath my car. That's when I realized the little light that was flashing on my dashboard...

Yup. Flat tire. And I mean FLAT. The noise I heard was actually the rim scraping on the ground. 

Crap.

Ok I might have said something a little stronger than "crap". But I knew it wasn't going to fix itself so I went inside to seek help from my husband.

What should have been a relatively simple task quickly turned into a debacle.  The car was so low that we couldn't see underneath where to put the jack. Then the jack itself was so hard to crank that we wound up getting the one from my husband's truck.

Oh and it doesn't end there.

The lug nuts were on so tight my husband had to stand on the wrench to get them loose. Even the freaking tire itself was so stuck we literally had to get a sledgehammer to knock the sucker off. 

Needless to say, at this point both my husband and I had said harsher words than "crap", I had grease all over my hands, and my hair was definately no longer looking cute.

I finally got to the tire store, sat in the waiting room, and stressed out about how much this was gonna cost me. It seems like it has just been one thing after another this summer, and I gladly used the time waiting to sulk.

But when they called me up to the register, my bill was less than $29. 

Seriously?!

I spent all that time sulking over $29?

On the way home, I thought back through the whole tire debacle. And yes, it was bad. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much worse it could have been.

I worked until 11 PM last night. Chances are that tire was going flat on my way home. I could have been stuck on the highway at midnight, and without my husbands' jack or the sledgehammer.

My husband could have been on duty today, unable to help me get the spare on. And I could have had to pay for a new tire instead of just a patch. 

Yeah, I missed a day of work that I wasn't planning on, and now I'm even more behind with my office work. But I also gained an unexpected afternoon with my family and a workout that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

So today's pic represents how we have the power to choose how to look and react to a situation. We can sit and sulk, or choose to realize it could have been worse, and push through to the other side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment