Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day 228

Today was the first of many weekend days this fall in which our family's lives will be dictated by a small, brown leather ball.

It's officially football season.

I got up in time today to go work at the concession stand for two hours. Then it was home to feed him a big, healthy lunch and wash his practice jersey and pants for next week.

Another hour went by reviewing his play book and watching videos from the last couple of weeks, talking through what he had learned and how he was going to apply it.

I did get a round of bathroom cleaning in, but then it was time to get ready for our actual game. Cleats, socks, game pants, cup, jersey, pads, helmet, mouthpiece, water bottle. Check. Five minutes before we were supposed to leave it started pouring rain, so I repacked my own bag to include a rain jacket, hat, umbrella, and towel to wipe off the wet bleachers.

Whew. Now we were ready. And as I pulled his jersey over the shoulder pads, I had to smile. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to constantly be prepared for practice and games. And yes, my house isn't as clean and my dinners aren't as healthy this time of year.

But my kid loves to play, and in the end that's all that matters. So today's pic celebrates and thanks all the parents who put jerseys on shoulder pads, lace up soccer cleats, fill up water bottles, and drive their kids to practice instead of clean their bathroom. One day they will thank you. That day is unfortunately far away from now- probably when they have their own kids- but it will come. And one day, you will wish that you were at practice instead of cleaning your bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment