Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Day 323

Homework. I don't miss it one bit. But somehow, even though I don't have homework, I still find myself spending hours each evening helping the 11-year old with his.

Tonight was a challenge, for sure. The printer wouldn't work, and the computer crashed twice in the middle of typing out a Word document. Pay Word document that hadn't been saved on a flash drive of course...

Much, much later than anticipated,the homework got finished. All I wanted was a stiff drink, bit instead I grabbed two pieces of chocolate and handed one to my son. " We so deserve this" I said.

He smiled and put the chocolate in his mouth, and we both switched gears for what was left of the evening. For once, he didn't complain about having to get ready for bed. I think he was just as relieved as I was to be done with schoolwork and was ready to call it a night. When I went to kiss him goodnight he said, "Thanks for helping me Mom". 

I smiled down at him, something I hadn't done in the last few hours. I told him I loved him, kissed his cheek, then headed for a hot shower to wash away the memories of bibliographies and ratio problems.

Tonight's picture represents relief at finally finishing something that has not gone according to plan, and a son's quiet thank you that can immediately make all the pent up frustration from an evening melt away.



No comments:

Post a Comment