Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Day 329

When our older two children were small, they...struggled...with forgetting to turn out lights when they left a room. So I talked to them about how electricity cost money, and proceeded to give them $1.00 at the beginning of the week. 

This seemed like a great idea to them. Until they found out that every time they exited a room without turning the light off, I took $0.25 from their allowance.

But it worked. Within a month, lights were being turned off and I had come out on top financially most likely due to the $$ saved from my $2 per week expenditure. 

Then they went through a phase in which they left everything on the floor. EVERYTHING. With a new baby and 2 dogs in the house, anything on the floor was fair game to get chewed up or slobbered on. And that's not including what the dogs would do...

Once again, I gave each child a speech about how "things" cost money, as well as $1 at the beginning of the week. Each time I picked something up of theirs, I placed it in a trash bag with their name on it. Then, when they wanted or needed something that was in the bag I charged them $0.25 per item.

Needless to say, I made money on that one for awhile. But they learned.

When I came home from work today, one of the first things I found myself doing was laundry. Suprise, suprise. I don't necessarily mind doing laundry. There's something....orderly...about separating the colors and materials, then folding the clean linens into their designated piles, and putting them away neat and tidy. I don't know why I like that...

But then I opened a sock that had been put in the wash still balled up in a wad. And a rainstorm of dirt and dog hair descended upon my perfectly tidy stacks of clean undies.

Oh, it's on.

There are now Three Rules of Laundry Engagement in our household:

#1. Any clothes left on the floor of the bathroom or a bedroom will not be washed by me.

#2. Any pants that are not separated from underwear when put into the laundry will also not be washed by me. 

#3. Any socks that are not turned the right side out WILL NOT BE WASHED BY ME.

These new rules were announced at the dinner table, and the only response I got was downcast eyes and forks of chicken-and-noodles being shoved in so fast I thought they would choke.

Tonight's picture represents the empowering feeling of declaring war against the enemy, and the enemy is Enabling.When they have to go to work/school without their skivvies or socks on, let it be a reminder that they should have more respect for those who do things for you. I am the first to admit I have a long way to go myself- I am definately an enabler. But today was a step towards recovery. And sanity. As long as I can resist picking the clothes up from the floor....


No comments:

Post a Comment