Friday, November 21, 2014

Day 325


For a period of time during my young childhood, I lived in my grandmother's house. Living with Grandma was great from a child's perspective, and I will be forever grateful for the time I had with her.

But living with your grandmother exposes you to a few things that most kids don't see. Like Grandma with her hair in crazy curlers and smelling like permanent solution. Or worse yet, Grandma without a bra in her housecoat every morning...

My grandmother came from a generation where pantyhose were an everyday occurrence. I can still remember her stockinged toes peeking out from a pair of those soft, fleece-like slippers you can only find at Kmart these days. You know, the ones that are slip-ons with a plastic-like bottom and have the little roses embroidered over the top. 

Today I wore "street clothes" instead of scrubs, anticipating a day mostly spent in my office due to lower acuity on the unit.

This was Mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was wearing my favorite boots. They are cute, cute, cute (their most important feature of course), and although they have about a 2-3 inch heel, are more comfortable than most heeled boots would be.

At least for the first 6 hours on my feet...

Eleven hours after arriving to work, I finally went into my office to gather my coat and purse. This wasn't hard to do, as I had thrown them on my desk that morning as I hurried back out to help my first nurse of the day. 

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE helping my nurses(yes, you are all "mine"). I'd just rather help them in my tennis shoes! I drove home with visions of a hot shower and a stiff drink, anxious to relax and begin a weekend of Thanksgiving preparations.

When I walked in the door, I barely said hello to my family before zipping out of my boots and sliding my favorite pair of sandals on. I literally groaned as the soft, flat interior of the sandal cushioned my foot, and my husband looked over the side of the couch to see what I was doing.

"Long day?" He asked.

By the time he finished those two words I was already behind the bar pouring myself a drink. 

"Ah...that kind of day, huh?"

I winked at him and started shuffling toward the shower that I swear I could hear calling my name. "Your'e gonna take that drink into the shower?" He asked.

"Yup". 

As I looked down at my feet on the way to the bathroom, I was instantly reminded of my grandmother and her stocking/slipper combo. Maybe Grandma was on to something, I thought- I wouldn't mind hanging out in a housecoat and slippers without a bra right now for sure.

Tonight's pic represents memories of a loved one from your past, and the heavenly combination of liquor and hot water after eleven hours in heels.



No comments:

Post a Comment