Sunday, November 30, 2014

Day 334

After all the holiday food, my husband and I found ourselves at the gym this morning. An hour and twenty minutes on the bike and I was finally starting to feel like I had probably burned off a couple of servings of pumpkin trifle...

The weather was unusually warm today, so we opted to take the dogs for a walk when we got home. The 11-year old and a friend were out playing basketball as we left, two dogs excitedly pulling on their leashes in anticipation. 

As we rounded the corner on the way home, my husband yawned loudly and said that he had been up most of the night before at work helping the public. He declared that he was gonna take what he refers to as a "Papaw nap" since his grandson was born. 

We were pleased to note that the boys were still going strong when we turned into the driveway. And as we passed by the two pre-teens, the 11-year old's friend asked, "Will you play with us Mr. Little?"

We stopped, and I smiled at my husband, at the same time holding my hand out to take the leash of the dog he had been walking. And as I stepped into the house and closed the door, it was with the sound of tennis shoes hitting the ground and a ball swishing through a hoop.

Tonight's picture represents taking advantage of playing with your kid. As I snapped this picture, it was with the realization that not every kid is lucky enough to have a parent who will/can play with them. And not every parent has a kid who will ask them to play. Although technically I guess it was the 11-year old's friend who asked him to play....Papaw got his nap, albeit later than he had hoped. But the truth is he got much more than a nap- he got memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment