Thursday, November 20, 2014

Day 324

I gave in. I couldn't help it. It was just sitting there and looked so bland and in need of a little fixing up.

I wrapped my first Christmas present.

Our guest room serves dual purpose as both a place for visitors to rest their head, and a place for me to get my craft on. There is a full size bed complete with dresser, bedside table, and lamp. But there is also a large table and two walls worth of organizational racks and drawers, filled with ribbon, paper, stamps, stickers, yarn, pens, markers, tapes, scissors,  etc.

Winter time is when this room gets it's workout. It is where I have labored over homemade games for our Christmas party, cut paper into all sorts of shapes and sizes for scrapbooks, cards, and gift tags.

And yes, it is where I wrap presents.

There is just something that makes me happy about taking an ordinary object and making it look special. Even when our older kids were toddlers and we were dirt poor, I still spent many extra hours "curling" ribbon with my scissors to make each and every gift look as festive as possible. I wrapped everything individually- boxes of crayons, coloring books, underwear....I guess I figured I like to wrap, and the kids love to open wrapping paper so...win, win right?

I do use gift bags for certain things, but tend to lean towards trying my best to put even odd-shaped gifts in boxes so that I can get out my paper and scissors. So if you get a gift from me and peel off paper to find a box that has a Keurig on the outside of it- don't get your hopes up... I love measuring, cutting, and neatly folding the paper, then finding or making the perfect bow and tag to match. Some years I have had "themed" paper for each family member- zebra striped paper with big thick red ribbon for when my step-daughter went through her animal print stage. Paper with deer on it and burlap ribbon for my step-son the bow hunter. Transformers with metallic ribbon for the littlest boy of the bunch. And good ole' Santa Claus paper for my hubby, since Christmas is his favorite time of year.

Tonight's picture represents anticipation of a favorite time of year, and my love for all things organizationally crafty. I limited myself to one gift, and used a gift bag instead of getting out my paper and scissors. Then I got out my spreadsheet, put an "X" in the "wrapped" column next to this person's name, then highlighted that same name to show that there is nothing left to do or buy before the big day of giving. I returned the gift, bag and all, to it's pre-labeled hiding spot ("LOCATION" is another column on the spreadsheet...), and went to go make dinner- singing "Here comes Santa Claus" under my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment