Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day 245

There has been a lot of rain around here the last few days. Weird rain too- bright and sunny out one minute, pouring buckets the next. Today was no exception, and I set off for work this morning with my windshield wipers getting a workout.

By the time I got home, the sky had once again transformed and the sun was shining around patches of angry-looking dark clouds. So off we went to football practice, with me doing a silent thanks that at least I wouldn't be stuck in the rain for two hours...

But although it wasn't raining during practice, the day's earlier onslaught had left it's mark. Thankfully, our practice area is mostly on high ground, but there was still plenty of mud for all.

It was everywhere, and unavoidable. And let's be honest- even if it was avoidable, those boys still would have found it. Soon enough, their white practice pants turned darker and darker. Several of us parents made comments on the sidelines about how we usually wait until the end of the week to wash practice clothes, but would probably have to make an exception tonight...

At the end of practice, the boys came off the field wearing their mud stains and splotches like badges of honor. I have one girlfriend whose son got very upset when she washed his pants after a particularly muddy practice- "Mom! You just washed all my work off!". I can remember guys at the firehouse being like that as well- they would delay washing their gear and their helmets after a fire so that everyone could tell they had actually been fighting fire...

Boys will be boys I guess.

Tonight's picture represents how getting dirty is not always a bad thing. It can sometimes signify hard work- lord knows I am dirty after working in the garden, and I literally have sand in my eyebrows when I come home from volleyball. There were at least 100 pee-wee football players out there tonight, which means there are at least 100 washing machines running right now...Thank Goodness for my stain stick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment