Monday, September 29, 2014

Day 272

Tonight was my last game of sand volleyball until Spring rears it's head next year. My Monday night league is comprised of several people who have played together for quite a while, and the other half of us were new to the team. Through the spring, summer, and fall sessions we have progressively finished a little bit higher in the rankings, ending tonight with a solid second place.

Now, some people would say that second place means you were the first loser. And I'm not saying that I like to lose. Rather, I think taking second place sometimes should be celebrated more than it is.

We played the first place team tonight, and hung solid with them for the vast majority of three rounds. There is a reason that team is in first place, and I know that we had them sweating several times. Our team has made so many great strides and gotten better not only at actual ball skills, but at working together as a team. We give each other encouragement, and we give each other hell when it is deserved...but we all come off the court giving high fives and butt slaps (ok I admit it. The real reason I play volleyball is for the butt slaps...).

So tonight's pic represents being happy with not being first. You don't have to be the best at something to be good, have a good time, or have a good team. Some of the best teams win on courage, hard work, and spirit. I mean, where do you think the term "underdog" came from? And who hasn't loved watching those movies where a Bad News Bear team of some sort winds up being champions? Second place is not always the first loser. Sometimes second place is actually the next winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment