Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Day 266

This past Saturday, the 11-year old got hurt during his football game. Nothing too serious, but he did wind up missing a day of practice- something he has never had happen before.

When I was about his age, I briefly had a four-wheeler. I remember clearly one afternoon how I lost control coming over a hill one, panicked, and wound up hitting the gas instead of the brake. This caused me to zip up an entirely too steep embankment, promptly throwing me off backwards and having the four-wheeler land on top of me.

Same as my 11-year old, there were no serious injuries. I had a helmet on, and the bike had landed more between my legs than on top of them. But that didn't mean I wasn't shaken up. My uncle walked me back to the car and I took a break, but eventually I had to make a decision...

Did I get back on the bike before we left, or throw in the towel for the day.

I remember my family asking if I was sure when I started putting my helmet back on, and I remember saying something about, "If I don't get back on now, I'm afraid I'll never get on one again". I admittedly took it very slow and easy the second-time around, but at least I could end the day knowing that I hadn't let fear of injury get the best of me.

While I was at work today, I fleetingly thought about the 11-year old, and whether he would be eager to get back in the saddle or nervous about getting hurt. He's never been the overly aggressive type anyway, and I was a bit worried that his injury might not have only hurt him physically.

When I got home from work, his afternoon rituals were already in full swing. He does homework until 5 PM, then he eats dinner, gets dressed at 5:15, then packs his gear and water bottle in order to be ready to go at 5:25 (hmmm...who does that sound like...). There was no dilly-dallying or talk about his leg still bothering him, although I could tell by his limp he still wasn't 100%.

Then, on the way to practice, he asked me a question. I though his voice sounded odd, so I turned around to look at him. That's when I realized he already had his helmet on. Guess I don't have to worry about this horse getting away from him...

Tonight's pic represents getting back on the horse, wagon, or even four-wheeler. How many times have we all used an excuse for why we don't exercise , or didn't finish a project , or didn't try something you really wanted to just because you failed the first time? Failure is actually a vital part of success- it can be inspiring, motivating, educational, and life-changing. So don't be afraid of failing, or of tripping on the ladder as you climb back on the wagon- you will be a better person if you fail multiple times rather than just give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment